(pardon the all caps there, my fingers got away from me)
Two teenage girls made cookies and delivered them to people in their neighborhood. The thanks they got? A $900 lawsuit by one of the recipients.
Short version: Girls made cookies and started delivering them around 9 p.m. to houses that had lights on, with little notes that said, "Have a great night. Love, the T & L club" (their initials). They got to this particular recipient's home at about 10:30 p.m. (seems a bit late to me, but it's not like it's two in the a.m.). These houses are a bit rural--outside of Durango, CO--and apparently Ms. Wanita Renea Young freaked out, called the sherriff, then spent the night before going to the hospital which racked up $800+ in medical bills. So she sued the girls in spite of their written apologies and their parents' offers to pay for her medical costs if she'd indemnify them against further damage. (Hey, if the lady's gonna sue over cookies, she'd sue for tripping as she threw the cookies in her trash.)
A fuller version of the story is here: Link
This is wrong on so many levels.
1. That Wanita Renea Young would be scared to look out her front door to see who's standing there.
2. That Wanita Renea Young would panic because someone was knocking in her door. (The extent of the knocking and whether or not it was banging I do not know.)
3. That Wanita Renea Young would wait until the morning to go to the hospital.
4. That Wanita Renea Young would realize this was a good deed gone mildly wrong, and still have the nerve to sue.
5. That a lawyer would take Wanita Renea Young's case.
6. That a JUDGE would take Wanita Renea Young's case instead of binning it like it belongs.
7. That a judge would find two teenage girls (who aren't out smoking, drinking, and getting pregnant and STD-laced) guilty of delivering cookies. (Girls Scouts, beware.)
8. That a judge would make the girls or their families pay the full cost, if any.
9. That Wanita Renea Young can't open her stupid fucking eyes and see how she, personally, is making America a worse place to be in.
America, WAKE UP! Are we really going to sue our neighbors over things like this?